Makeover Summer Squash Casserole Recipe
- 3 pounds yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers, crushed
- Place squash in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add squash; stir gently to combine. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, eggs, egg whites, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over squash mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole; bake 5 minutes longer or until crumbs are golden brown and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 15 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Summer Squash Casserole
Sort By :
"Definitely not a healthy recipe, delish!"
"sorry forgot to rate it!! It was delicious!!"
"it was delicious!!"
"I am in the process of making this. Sounds very good. I was wondering if I could freeze this after assembling and bake it later."
"This is a great recipe to use up the abundance of summer squash in a garden. Like another lady, I used part cottage cheese and part cheddar cheese. My family also likes to add cooked sausage (sometimes bulk and sometimes sliced smoked sausage) to this recipe for an all in one dish. Thanks!"