Makeover Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sauce Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2-in. thickness. For stuffing, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs, water and poultry seasoning.
- 2. Place 1/4 cup stuffing over each chicken breast. Roll up from a short side and secure with toothpicks. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken in flour mixture.
- 3. Place seam side down in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spritz chicken with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Discard toothpicks.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Whisk flour and milk; add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sour cream, salt and pepper. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
1 stuffed chicken breast with about 1/3 cu: 401 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 627mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 43g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1 starch, 5 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
Reviews for Makeover Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Sauce
"We really did not care for this at all. The stuffing had FAR too much poultry seasoning in it. They also took a long time to make. I also think that the cooking time is WAY too long. If you are pounding your chicken out thin, it doesn't take almost an hour to cook. The mushroom sauce also didn't have much taste to it. Had to add some spices. Will not make again."