Makeover Streusel-Topped Sweet Potatoes Recipe
People really do "eat with their eyes," and no one ever misses the fat and calories in this dish when they see how yummy and attractive the makeover version is. —Tamra Duncan, Lincoln, Arkansas
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat butter, melted
- 1. Scrub and pierce sweet potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 15-18 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- 2. When cool enough to handle, cut each potato in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp, leaving thin shells. In a large bowl, mash the pulp with butter and eggs. Stir in juice and vanilla. Spoon into potato shells.
- 3. Divide between two 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Combine the topping ingredients; spoon over top. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 12 servings.
1 stuffed potato half equals 260 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 136 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC