Now all you rhubarb fans out there can minimize that mouth-puckering flavor without having to ladle on the sugar. This light recipe lets you enjoy one of springtime's quintessential treats and feel good about each bite you take. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar blend
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Reduced-fat whipped topping or reduced-fat strawberry ice cream, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in strawberries and rhubarb until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Pour into an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar blend and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown. Serve with whipped topping or ice cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p24
Reviews for Makeover Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review