Makeover Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Recipe
This recipe is rich and velvety, with fantastic strawberry flavor—the perfect treat for the summer’s heat, but with just a fraction of the fat and fewer calories than the original recipe. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 cup apple jelly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat half-and-half and milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sour cream, jelly and vanilla. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, strawberries, lemon juice and peel until blended. Gradually beat in the custard mixture.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
1/2 cup: 208 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Makeover Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC