Makeover Strawberry Cake Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cake mix and gelatin. Add egg whites and oil; beat until well blended.
- 2. In a small bowl, mash strawberries in their juice. Set aside 3 tablespoons for icing. Add water and remaining berries to the batter; mix well.
- 3. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For icing, in a small bowl, combine butter and reserved strawberries. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with half of the icing. Repeat layers. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 287 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 264mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Strawberry Cake
"Very sweet and tasty! I used dairy free margarine in the icing and it would not set up. Next time i might try the butter-flavored Crisco and see how that does."
"Made this for Father's Day and got rave reviews! So moist and yummy. It's nice to have something other than chocolate and this totally hit the spot."
"Made this for Father's Day. Everyone loved it. Would make it again."
"I followed this recipe and the cake came out very moist, with plenty of icing."
"Sorry, I really wanted to like this recipe but it was a dud. I followed the recipe exactly and the cake was dry. I wouldn't make it again."
"Excellent recipe! My family LOVED this cake and designated it a definite keeper. After reading the other reviews, I added extra strawberry puree and a splash of skim milk to the icing."
"Sorry...Instant vanilla pudding for icing."
"I made this recipe and used 1 vanilla pudding, 1 cup lowfat milk, small cool whip, fold in reserved strawberries, for the icing. Refrigerate. Sooooo Good!!"
"My husband and I love this! Everyone that I've made it for wants the recipe. It's a keeper!"
"Not enough frosting. I used strawberry jam for the filling."
"One of the most delicious cakes I've had. It's now one of my husband's favorites and he is typically a chocolate person!"
"This was soo good! I added a little more strawberry puree to the batter and frosting. We had it for Mothers day and everyone wanted the leftovers!"