This recipe is made using fat-free sweetened condensed milk and light whipped topping without hurting the taste.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Featured In: Butterfinger Dessert Recipes
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened whole strawberries, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium firm bananas, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the cornstarch and sugar. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in milk, vanilla and food coloring if desired. Press plastic wrap onto surface of mixture. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fold whipped topping into cream mixture. Fold in strawberries, bananas and pecans. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripe in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Makeover Strawberry-Banana Ice Cream in Light & Tasty August/September 2002, p46
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Makeover Strawberry-Banana Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review