Makeover Spinach Tuna Casserole Recipe
- 5 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 package (6 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken stuffing mix
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook noodles according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise and lemon juice; set aside.
- 3. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in 1/3 cup cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream mixture. Add spinach, stuffing mix, bread crumbs and tuna.
- 4. Drain noodles and place in a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with tuna mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 5. Cover and bake 35 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 346 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 734 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.