Makeover Spinach Casserole
Even Janet Hornsby's kids would eat their spinach when served this dish, but she wanted to serve it without the guilt. We slimmed it down so she could do just that. The new recipe has a whopping 80% less fat and saturated fat, and the calories and cholesterol were reduced by more than 60%.Taste of Home's Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 egg whites
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a blender, combine the egg whites, eggs and spinach; cover and
- process until smooth. add the half-and-half, butter, flour, salt and
- pepper; process until blended.
- Coat a 1-qt. straight-sided baking dish with cooking spray. Dust
- bottom and sides with Parmesan cheese. Transfer spinach mixture to
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield:
- 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 131 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium,