Makeover Spinach Casserole Recipe
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a blender, combine the egg whites, eggs and spinach; cover and process until smooth. add the half-and-half, butter, flour, salt and pepper; process until blended.
- 2. Coat a 1-qt. straight-sided baking dish with cooking spray. Dust bottom and sides with Parmesan cheese. Transfer spinach mixture to dish.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (2/3 cup) equals 131 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 434 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.