Even Janet Hornsby's kids would eat their spinach when served this dish, but she wanted to serve it without the guilt. We slimmed it down so she could do just that. The new recipe has a whopping 80% less fat and saturated fat, and the calories and cholesterol were reduced by more than 60%.—Taste of Home's Test Kitchen
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a blender, combine the egg whites, eggs and spinach; cover and process until smooth. add the half-and-half, butter, flour, salt and pepper; process until blended.
- Coat a 1-qt. straight-sided baking dish with cooking spray. Dust bottom and sides with Parmesan cheese. Transfer spinach mixture to dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Spinach Casserole in Light & Tasty February/March 2005, p10
Reviews for Makeover Spinach Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review