Makeover Spinach and Artichoke Casserole Recipe
- 5 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, red peppers and onions in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in shredded cheese until melted.
- Add the spinach, artichokes, salt, cayenne, pepper and pepper flakes. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Spinach and Artichoke Casserole(5)
Sort By :
I love spinach artichoke dip, so I made this as a side for Christmas Eve. It was very well received by my family, even my grandmother who says she's never had the dip or even artichokes! Felt good to make a healthy holiday side that they actually like!
I used half the spinach and twice the artichokes. The next day we ate leftovers spread on crackers.
I used Gluten-free flour and it turned out great. One recipe would probably serve 16 people. Made for a family gathering and everyone loved it.
Made it for Thanksgiving and none of us liked it.
Loved it. It was very good. I sent it to work with my husband and one of his coworkers ended up taking it from him!
More Recipe Collections
- Artichoke Hearts >
- Artichoke Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >
- Makeover Side Dish Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >