Spinach never tasted better than in this creamy, colorful dish that's now even healthier and more delicious! —Judy Armstrong, Prairieville, Louisiana
- 5 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 4 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a Dutch oven, saute the celery, red peppers and onions in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add cream and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in shredded cheese until melted.
- Add spinach, artichokes, salt, cayenne, pepper and pepper flakes. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Spinach and Artichoke Casserole in Healthy Cooking October/November 2011, p28
Reviews for Makeover Spinach and Artichoke Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review