Makeover Spiced Cocoa-Apple Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups grated peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- 2. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Stir in the apples, walnuts and chips.
- 3. Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 270 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Spiced Cocoa-Apple Cake
"I doubled the recipe. I added 4 tsps. of cinnamon. Kept the buttermilk for last. May have added 2/3 c. sugar extra and forgot the allspice. But the 2 cakes lasted for 3 days."
"There was a lot of prep time involved and I found the cake "ho-hum". There was just something I couldn't put my finger on that didn't set right and I think it could have been the spicyness. I made it for the 1st time for some company and they felt the same way."
"I made this cake and although it required a lot of ingredients and prep time, it was well worth the time. My 3 1/2 year old daughter said it was delicious and of course, did not know, it was a reduced lighter version of an original."