Makeover Spiced Cocoa-Apple Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups grated peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Beat in the buttermilk, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled).
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and allspice; stir into butter mixture just until blended. Stir in the apples, walnuts and chips.
- Transfer to a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Spiced Cocoa-Apple Cake(6)
Sort By :
I don't normally eat "healthy" desserts, but was pleasantly surprised when my mom made this. It was very good. Very moist, not at all heavy. And my mom didn't feel that the time prep time was that much for a made from scratch cake.
I forgot to add that I omitted the walnuts and
semisweet chocolate chips. The cake was very
moist. The adults loved the cake
I doubled the recipe. I added 4 tsps. of cinnamon. Kept the buttermilk for last. May have added 2/3 c. sugar extra and forgot the allspice. But the 2 cakes lasted for 3 days.
I don't think the result justified all the prep work needed. The cake was heavy and not moist, and could have used a stronger chocolate flavor. I served this to guests, so I covered each piece with whipped cream. This was a disappointing finish to what had otherwise been a delicious meal.
There was a lot of prep time involved and I found the cake "ho-hum". There was just something I couldn't put my finger on that didn't set right and I think it could have been the spicyness. I made it for the 1st time for some company and they felt the same way.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Cake >
- Apple Cakes >
- Apple Desserts >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Bundt Cake Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >