Makeover Spice Crumb Cake Recipe
Replacing the shortening with a small amount of oil and some applesauce, and substituted two egg whites for one of the eggs. Even though butter is used instead of shortening ind the topping to retain the from-scratch flavor, this cake still has less fat calories and cholesterol than the original version.—Carolyn Nicholas, Winter Springs, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. YIELD:18 servings
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and molasses. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spices, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- 2. For topping, combine the brown sugar, flour and spices in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
One piece equals 249 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 241 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC