Makeover Spice Crumb Cake Recipe
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-3/4 teaspoons each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, buttermilk, oil, applesauce and molasses. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, spices, baking powder and salt; add to egg mixture and mix well. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- For topping, combine the brown sugar, flour and spices in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Spice Crumb Cake(2)
Sort By :
This is terrific. I actually made it even lower in fat but using egg substitute. We love this cake! Oh, and I found a 13x9 pan worked just fine.
This is a family favorite coffee cake. I have found, however that the 13x9 pan isn't large enough. I either use two 9" or a 15X10. Also, my kids like it best when I use only cinnamon & omit the nutmeg & cloves.