Makeover Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg whites, beating well after each addition. Stir in the lemon juice, lemon peel and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. Fold in walnuts.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Makeover Sour Cream Coffee Cake(5)
Sort By :
A great makeover recipe! This is delicious! I used vanilla yogurt in place of the sour cream & cut the sugar by half. I also added 3 cups of chopped apples. The cake itself is moist & delicious. The apples make it even better :) Oh, I used a full cup of walnuts!
This isn't a rating; just a question. The recipe description talks about a "full cup of walnuts" but the ingredients list has only 1/4 cup. ?? I sure like the sound of this cake and would love to bake it, but would like to know about the quantity of walnuts, please.
A good basic coffecake. Love the lemon flavors!
I want to try this coffee cake but it does not use baking powder. Am I missing the obvious?
I substitued Splenda for sugar. I also omitted the lemon juice and lemon rind since we are not fond of lemon. Using Splenda has got to bring down the calorie level somewhat. The cake turn out moist and just fabulous. My husband and I love it.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Breakfast Coffee Cake >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Bundt Cake Recipes >
- Bundt Coffee Cake >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Coffee Cake Bread Recipes >
- Coffee Cake Recipes >
- Coffee Cake with Sour Cream >
- Coffee Cakes >
- Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >