Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, egg substitute and butter. Stir in the process cheese, 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until center is set, stirring once. Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese(23)
Sort By :
I used fat free evaporated milk, reduced fat cheeses, omitted the butter and it came out EXCELLENT!!!! Great recipe!!!! I was very happy I used a liner in my crockpot though :o)
I make this all the time. Everyone raves about it. I use Barilla multi-grain macaroni, and it holds up better than standard macaroni in the slow-cooker. It has a higher fiber content and fills you up pretty fast.
I thought this was very good. I usually meke mac 'n' cheese in the oven with a fresh bread crrump topping and so thought I might be disappointed with this recipe but I was not. The texture was great, it came together very quickly and I love that it can be made in a slow cooker. Will be making again!!!
Picture doesn't do it justice (mean that in the nicest way! Was a hit with freshmen boys basketball team! Took a calculated risk, having never made it before, and served it as part of a meal we serve them after "away" games. They really liked it! TIP: Keep it on low, I turned it up to heat it back up quick after transporting and burnt a small part of it.
I was in a hurry so I baked this in the oven: 50 minutes at 350 degrees. It turned out great! I added some dry mustard powder, pepper, and some frozen broccoli. I left the butter out. I used 2 real eggs in place of the egg substitute. Very tasty!
More Recipe Collections
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Macaroni and Cheese >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >
- Makeover Side Dish Recipes >