- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, egg substitute and butter. Stir in the process cheese, 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until center is set, stirring once. Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar cheese and, if desired, coarsely ground pepper. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese
"I used fat free evaporated milk, reduced fat cheeses, omitted the butter and it came out EXCELLENT!!!! Great recipe!!!! I was very happy I used a liner in my crockpot though :o)"
"I make this all the time. Everyone raves about it. I use Barilla multi-grain macaroni, and it holds up better than standard macaroni in the slow-cooker. It has a higher fiber content and fills you up pretty fast."
"I thought this was very good. I usually meke mac 'n' cheese in the oven with a fresh bread crrump topping and so thought I might be disappointed with this recipe but I was not. The texture was great, it came together very quickly and I love that it can be made in a slow cooker. Will be making again!!!"
"Picture doesn't do it justice (mean that in the nicest way! Was a hit with freshmen boys basketball team! Took a calculated risk, having never made it before, and served it as part of a meal we serve them after "away" games. They really liked it! TIP: Keep it on low, I turned it up to heat it back up quick after transporting and burnt a small part of it."
"I was in a hurry so I baked this in the oven: 50 minutes at 350 degrees. It turned out great! I added some dry mustard powder, pepper, and some frozen broccoli. I left the butter out. I used 2 real eggs in place of the egg substitute. Very tasty!"
"This is a minority favorite in our house. My son LOVES it; no one else does! I guess I prefer my mac&cheese to feel "baked", this is just swimming in the cheese, more like a sauce cooked in a pan. Also I've never been a fan of Velveeta; I prefer the sharpness of the cheddar. But, I will make it again for him...maybe just not so much."
"Made it with leftover Christmas ham - the family really enjoyed it. Love that I don't have to babysit it (slow cookers are great). Leftovers aren't dried out by th next day, and it freezes fairly well."
"I don't understand the reason for cooking the Elbow's and then cooking it again in a Crock Pot. Makes no sense to me. I would rather just bake it!"
"There should be a 'not sure' circle. Don't omit the Velveeta!!!! I tried this recipe without it as I don't like 'veeta's sodium. It definitely didn't look right. Amazingly, my husband thought it tasted okay."