- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, egg substitute and butter. Stir in the process cheese, 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until center is set, stirring once. Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese
Sort By :
"I have made this a few times and find it quick and easy. I add diced onion, dry mustard, and pepper. I also decrease the processed cheese while adding another kind of shredded cheese, whatever I have on hand. Making it again today!"
"I used fat free evaporated milk, reduced fat cheeses, omitted the butter and it came out EXCELLENT!!!! Great recipe!!!! I was very happy I used a liner in my crockpot though :o)"
"I make this all the time. Everyone raves about it. I use Barilla multi-grain macaroni, and it holds up better than standard macaroni in the slow-cooker. It has a higher fiber content and fills you up pretty fast."
"I thought this was very good. I usually meke mac 'n' cheese in the oven with a fresh bread crrump topping and so thought I might be disappointed with this recipe but I was not. The texture was great, it came together very quickly and I love that it can be made in a slow cooker. Will be making again!!!"
"Picture doesn't do it justice (mean that in the nicest way! Was a hit with freshmen boys basketball team! Took a calculated risk, having never made it before, and served it as part of a meal we serve them after "away" games. They really liked it! TIP: Keep it on low, I turned it up to heat it back up quick after transporting and burnt a small part of it."