Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese
Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese: the words alone are enough to make most mouths water. Shelby Molina's recipe is a clear example of comfort food at it's finest; it's rich, hearty and extra-cheesy. And because it's made in the slow cooker, it's also extremely easy.
9 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in
- cold water. In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, egg
- substitute and butter. Stir in the process cheese, 1-1/2 cups sharp
- cheddar cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and
- cook on low for 2-3 hours or until center is set, stirring once.
- Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 300 calories, 12 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 647 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat.