Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese: the words alone are enough to make most mouths water. Shelby Molina's recipe is a clear example of comfort food at it's finest; it's rich, hearty and extra-cheesy. And because it's made in the slow cooker, it's also extremely easy.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 can (12 ounces) reduced-fat evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water. In a large bowl, combine the evaporated milk, milk, egg substitute and butter. Stir in the process cheese, 1-1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese and macaroni.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Cover and cook on low for 2-3 hours or until center is set, stirring once. Sprinkle with remaining sharp cheddar cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p8
Reviews for Makeover Slow-Cooked Mac 'n' Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review