- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 envelope sloppy joe mix
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, celery and carrot over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water and sloppy joe mix. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain macaroni; set aside. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the process cheese until melted. Add macaroni and 1 cup cheddar cheese; mix well.
- Spread two-thirds of the macaroni mixture in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spread turkey mixture to within 2 in. of edges. Spoon remaining macaroni mixture around edges of pan. Cover and bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Sloppy Joe Mac and Cheese
Sort By :
"This is a family favorite that I make often. The meat sauce part freezes well, so I usually make a 5 times batch of the meat sauce, then serve 1 and freeze 4. The days when I make it by thawing the meat sauce, it is super easy."
"Since I have insulin dep. diabetes, this dish sounds like it may work well for my needs. Thank You for sharing."
"I just made this tonight and it was SO good. I had to make some adjustments for my diet, since I have to eat gluten-free. I substituted rice for the pasta and beans for the meat. I will definitely make this again. My family loved it!!"
"Makes lots. I added a full pound of meat."
"My family really enjoyed this dish. It was very rich. The next time I make it I'll add more meat & less cheese."