Makeover Shrimp Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute shrimp in 1 tablespoon butter for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender.
- 2. Stir in the flour, salt and cayenne. Gradually add milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and shrimp; stir until combined.
- 3. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 318 calories, 10 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 621 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.