Makeover Shrimp Rice Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute shrimp in 1 tablespoon butter for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in remaining butter until tender.
- Stir in the flour, salt and cayenne. Gradually add milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the rice, 1/2 cup cheese and shrimp; stir until combined.
- Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 325° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Makeover Shrimp Rice Casserole
Sort By :
"Very tasty! I used some garlic in this dish, too."
"Very good. Very flavorful. Would be great for company. We like our food on the spicy side and would add more cayene pepper next time."
"I used jalapenos (seeded) instead of green bell peppers because that was what I had on hand. I also bumped up the cayenne to 1/4 tsp. Spicy but not enough to lose the taste of the shrimp. love it!"
"When the whole family loves it, you know you have a winner."
"Could you use chicken instead of shrimp?"