Makeover Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Shrimp and grits is an iconic comfort dish in most parts of the South. These grits have a creamy richness that is so critical to the essence of good shrimp and grits. Lizabeth Elvington — Dillon, South Carolina
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) plus 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 2 center-cut bacon strips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the can of broth, water and half-and-half to a boil. Slowly whisk in grits. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour and pepper. Add shrimp, a few at a time, and shake to coat; set aside.
- Saute mushrooms in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the onions, garlic and shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink. Stir in the lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon pepper sauce and remaining broth.
- Stir the cheeses, butter, white pepper and remaining pepper sauce into the grits. Serve with shrimp mixture. Top with reserved bacon. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Shrimp and Grits in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p24
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Makeover Shrimp and Grits(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Makeover Main Dish Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >