Makeover Seven-Grain Cereal Bread Recipe
No longer is baking bread an all-day affair. Quick-rise yeast helps these tender, mildly sweet loaves come together in half the time. —Laura Reese, Flagstaff, Arizona
- 1/2 cup seven-grain cereal
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 6 to 6-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) quick-rise yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine cereal and water. Cover and cook on high for 4 minutes (mixture will be liquidy). Stir in molasses and butter. Let stand until mixture cools to 120°-130°, stirring occasionally.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 4 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, salt and yeast. Add cereal mixture to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice equals 141 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1-1/2 starch.
Reviews for Makeover Seven-Grain Cereal Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC