Makeover Sausage Pinwheels with Herb Gravy Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced chives, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon chives, 3/4 teaspoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon tarragon, seasoned salt, sugar and baking soda. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk. On a floured surface, roll or pat dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle.
- 2. Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll or pat sausage into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Peel off one side of waxed paper. Place sausage side on top of dough. Peel off remaining waxed paper. Starting with the long side covered with sausage, roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seam to seal. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- 3. Remove waxed paper; cut roll into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or golden brown.
- 4. For gravy, place remaining flour in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the half-and-half, bouillon, pepper, pepper flakes and remaining chives, parsley and tarragon until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. remove from the heat; stir in remaining butter. Serve immediately with pinwheels. Yield: 7 servings.
One serving (2 pinwheels with 1/4 cup gravy) equals 363 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 999 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat-free milk.