- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/4 teaspoons minced chives, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cold butter, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 12 ounces reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, 3/4 teaspoon chives, 3/4 teaspoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon tarragon, seasoned salt, sugar and baking soda. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk. On a floured surface, roll or pat dough into a 14-in. x 10-in. rectangle.
- Between two sheets of waxed paper, roll or pat sausage into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Peel off one side of waxed paper. Place sausage side on top of dough. Peel off remaining waxed paper. Starting with the long side covered with sausage, roll up jelly-roll style; pinch seam to seal. Wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper; cut roll into 1-in. slices. Place cut side down in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or golden brown.
- For gravy, place remaining flour in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the half-and-half, bouillon, pepper, pepper flakes and remaining chives, parsley and tarragon until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. remove from the heat; stir in remaining butter. Serve immediately with pinwheels. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Sausage Pinwheels with Herb Gravy
Sort By :
BURSTING with flavor! So good, it's an instant hit!
This was so good. It does take a bit of time to make with the dough having to chill, but very much worth it. The pinwheels turned out nice and the gravy was very creamy and thick. Plus my kids loved it! I will definately make this again.