Makeover Sausage & Spinach Pie Recipe
- 1 frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 minutes longer. Remove from the oven; reduce heat to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, spinach, cheeses, pepper and cooked sausage. Pour into crust. Place pie on a baking sheet. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Makeover Sausage & Spinach Pie
Sort By :
Quite frankly I was getting tired of making zucchini dishes and wanted to do something different. The only change I made was buying regular italian sausage due to store inavailability. In purchasing the ingredients I realized that I would have enough to make two at the same time (just had to purchase another box of spinach). It was easy to prepare and best part, it was delicious! I cut up the extra pie and put in containers to freeze for work-time lunches.
This was really good. I didn't have all the ingredients on hand when I made it so I substitued egg beaters for 4 whole eggs. I also substituted the mozarella cheese for cheddar cheese. I substituted ricotta cheese for cottage cheese and last, I didn't even have sausages! So, then I had some pepperoni, so I used that instead. Despite all the switcheroos, it turned out GREAT! My whole family loved it even though my husband said, "Wow, it looks awfully green!"