Thanks to its flaky crust and savory filling, this sausage and spinach pie is a showstopping entree fit for any time of day. Now that it's lightened up, it's just as delicious as it is good for you! Carol Haneman - St. Louis, Missouri
- 1 frozen deep-dish pie shell
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 4 minutes longer. Remove from the oven; reduce heat to 375°.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. In a large bowl, whisk the egg substitute, spinach, cheeses, pepper and cooked sausage. Pour into crust. Place pie on a baking sheet. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Sausage & Spinach Pie in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p24
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Makeover Sausage & Spinach Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review