Makeover Rum Cake has a shiny glaze, and only about half the calories and cholesterol as the original version. But it’s still moist, tender and as good with coffee in the morning as it is after a special meal. Now that’s definitely something worth celebrating. —Catharine Seman, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add pecans. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, milk, rum, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine glaze ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until thickened. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Rum Cake in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p21
Reviews for Makeover Rum Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review