Makeover Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Fill a 6-qt. stockpot 3/4 full with water; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, 3 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. Return water to a boil; cook rigatoni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in mozzarella cheese until melted.
- 3. Drain rigatoni; return to pan. Stir in asparagus, bacon, parsley, salt, pepper and cream sauce. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.