Makeover Rigatoni with Bacon and Asparagus Recipe
- 1 package (16 ounces) rigatoni
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 3. In the same pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute garlic in butter and oil for 1 minute. Stir in cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 4. Stir in mozzarella cheese until melted. Drain pasta; add to pan. Stir in the salt, asparagus, parsley and reserved bacon. Sprinkle with pepper and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 345 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 32 mg cholesterol, 428 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.