- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly,
- about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each
- addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla until well blended. Combine
- the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture
- alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until
- a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10
- minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Repeat layers four times.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Garnish with
- hazelnuts and shaved chocolate if desired. Chill until serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 372 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 281 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.