Makeover Ricotta Nut Torte Recipe
- 2 cartons (15 ounces each) reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each), grated
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Whole hazelnuts and shaved chocolate, optional
- Line three 8-in. round baking pans with waxed paper. Coat pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat ricotta cheese and sugar until smooth; beat in vanilla. Fold in pecans and grated chocolate. Cover and chill.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with 1 cup filling. Repeat layers four times. Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake. Garnish with hazelnuts and shaved chocolate if desired. Chill until serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Ricotta Nut Torte(4)
Sort By :
My cakes came out as flat as pancakes; there was no way I could have cut them in half. Wondering what I did incorrectly. I made sure that my ingredients were fresh. Ay suggestions?
I have made this cake many times using a cake mix. Make a yellow cake mix (I like the ones that have pudding in the mix) per box instructions. When cake has cooled, crumble cake and layer the crumbled cake and ricotta mixture in a bundt pan, pressing down after each layer. Refrigerate over night and then ice with cool whip or serve cool whip with each slice. (to make it easy to get cake out of pan, set in hot water for a few minutes before putting on cake plate.
This makeover was good on the first day but progressively got better on second day and on third day it was gone - well worth the 10 pts on weight watchers if all of your family is watching the points - second day the flavor of the chocolate and pecans were definitely distinguished.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Cakes >
- Apple Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Hazelnut Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Desserts >
- Italian Recipes >