Makeover Rhubarb Shortcake Dessert Recipe
Carol Gallagher, a missionary in Paupa, New Guinea asked our Test Kitchen to lighten up this favorite. Cream was replaced with 2% milk, orange marmalade was substituted for three of the original’s egg yolks, and the sugar was reduced. The resulting makeover recipe has half the total fat and 60% less saturated fat.--Taste of Home's Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sugar orange marmalade
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts
- Combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and orange marmalade until blended; add the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the rhubarb, milk and orange peel; pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.
- Immediately spread over hot filling, sealing edges; sprinkle with nuts. Bake 12-15 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Rhubarb Shortcake Dessert in Light & Tasty April/May 2005, p11
Reviews for Makeover Rhubarb Shortcake Dessert(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Crisps & Cobblers >
- Desserts >
- Healthy Cooking Desserts >
- Healthy Desserts >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Makeover Dessert Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >