This quiche is one of my husband's favorites, probably because it has bacon. Sometimes I add sliced fresh white or baby portobello mushrooms and saute them with the onions for more "meatiness." The makeover version looks wonderful! — Ruby Hochstetler, Holland, Michigan
- 1 package (14.1 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastries. Transfer to two 9-in. pie plates. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain and crumble. In the same skillet, saute onions until tender.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites, eggs, milk, cheese, spinach, onions, tomatoes, cornstarch, basil and pepper. Divide between pastries. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 2 quiches (8 servings each).
Originally published as Makeover Real-Man Quiche in Healthy Cooking June/July 2012, p25
Reviews for Makeover Real-Man Quiche
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review