Makeover Raspberry Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon apple jelly
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat cream and milk to 175°; stir in 1/2 cup sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is slightly thickened.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream and jelly. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, gently combine raspberries with lemon juice and remaining sugar. Let stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Mash raspberry mixture slightly; stir into custard.
- 4. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 169 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 62mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Makeover Raspberry Ice Cream
"This couldn't be any diffrent than de-li-ci-ous! And it is! The taste's great, i really loved it and will make this again and again and again and.... Thank you very much for this delightfull recipe!! :-)"
"I used peaches instead of raspberries, and it was wonderful. We ate way too much. If we hadn't had company to help us eat it, we would have eaten even more"