- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, applesauce and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer to two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Makeover Pumpkin Spice Bread
Sort By :
"I blindfolded my family and made two different pumpkin breads. They tasted each one to see if they could figure out the healthier one. Convinced they would be able to taste the difference they each misguessed thinking the tastiest one couldn't possibly be the healthiest. Joke is on them.This is a moist and delicious recipe. My go-to pumpkin bread recipe."
"I use 1 1/3 whole wheat flour for the cake flour and use ground flaxseed for two of the eggs. I also only use 2 cups sugar. Very good recipe."
"I'll admit, this is a delicious pumpkin bread, I love it. I'll also agree that the fat has been significantly reduced, so it's more heart healthy. I am concerned, however, about the "diabetic friendly" designation, though. With two cups of sugar and all white refined flour, I can't see how a diabetic could safely eat it, in spite of the pumpkin.I reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 cups and used dark brown for the additional sweetness/flavor. I swapped the all purpose flour for white whole wheat and kept the cake flour.l It was still really good and much healthier for my diabetic BIL."
"Very moist. Family loved it. Great sliced with a little cream cheese spread on it too :)"
"I was excited to see this recipe until I read the ingredients! I have to agree with Annie. How is this a healthy recipe? Over 2 cups of sugar, all white flour, and 4 eggs?? There is nothing low fat or healthy about this recipe. I will stick to my current recipe that is in fact low fat and healthy."