This makeover recipe is a winner! Packed with warm pumpkin flavor and spices, it's taller than the original cake but weighs in with just about half the fat, saturated fat and cholesterol and 187 fewer calories per piece. And if you ask us, that's sweet success no matter how you slice it.—Shirley Dellinger, Elwood, Indiana
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; beat until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture until blended. Stir in pecans.
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Pumpkin Cake in Light & Tasty October/November 2007, p13
Reviews for Makeover Pumpkin Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review