This makeover recipe has about 40% fewer calories, two-thirds less fat, less than half the saturated fat, about half the cholesterol and a third less sodium of the original. Yet its comforting taste and creamy consistency will surely please the soup lovers in your family!—Bethany Thayer, Troutville, Virginia
Featured In: 21 Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 4 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in celery and red pepper; simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low. stir in process cheese and mayonnaise until blended. add cheddar and Swiss cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in the potato flakes and pepper. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Potato Cheese Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p17
Reviews for Makeover Potato Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2012
"The soup tasted fair enough, however, not enough flavor for me (personal taste). Plus it just seemed like a lot of work for this soup. Not bad, just not a keeper for me."