This makeover recipe has about 40% fewer calories, two-thirds less fat, less than half the saturated fat, about half the cholesterol and a third less sodium of the original. Yet its comforting taste and creamy consistency will surely please the soup lovers in your family!—Bethany Thayer, Troutville, Virginia
- 4 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sodium-free chicken bouillon granules or 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, combine first six ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in celery and red pepper; simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to low. stir in process cheese and mayonnaise until blended. add cheddar and Swiss cheeses; stir until melted. Stir in the potato flakes and pepper. Remove from the heat; let stand for 15 minutes. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Potato Cheese Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2004, p17
Reviews for Makeover Potato Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 3, 2012
"The soup tasted fair enough, however, not enough flavor for me (personal taste). Plus it just seemed like a lot of work for this soup. Not bad, just not a keeper for me."