Makeover Pork Chops with Gravy Recipe
“My daughter and I made this recipe to create a special meal. I saw all the fat that went into it, and at my age, I can’t handle all those calories,” writes Betty from Sun City, Arizona. Our pros made a few changes to the recipe to improve its nutritional profile and found that Makeover Pork Chops with Gravy captures the home-style feel of the original recipe, but with less than half the fat.
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and 1/2 cup milk. Combine the bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon parsley and thyme in another shallow bowl. Sprinkle pork chops with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Dip chops in egg mixture, then crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook pork chops in 2 tablespoons butter for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 10-15 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160°.
- Meanwhile, in the same skillet, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour and remaining salt and pepper until smooth; gradually stir in the cream, broth and remaining milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with chops; sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Pork Chops with Gravy in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008, p11
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Makeover Pork Chops with Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 2, 2011
Good Flavor...Did use more pepper than recipe called for. Will add it to the list of favorites.
Reviewed Jun. 11, 2010
Loved it added a little extra pepper to the gravy, not a drop left!
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Gravy Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Makeover Main Dish Recipes >
- Makeover Recipes >