Makeover Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
Golden Makeover Poppy Seed Bread is just as tender as the original recipe Joanne Jones shared with L&T, but it only contains half of the cholesterol and saturated fat. With 113 fewer calories and 10 grams less sugar per slice, it’s a guilt-free treat she and her friends can enjoy in Salisbury, Maryland.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the egg whites, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- 2. Spread into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bread. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 221 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 203 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC