This makeover is just as tender as the original recipe, but it only contains half of the cholesterol and saturated fat. With 113 fewer calories and 10 grams less sugar per slice, it’s a guilt-free treat. —Joanne B Jones, Salisbury, Maryland
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the egg whites, applesauce and vanilla (mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Spread into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over bread. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Poppy Seed Bread in Light & Tasty February/March 2006, p11
Reviews for Makeover Poppy Seed Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 2, 2010
"I make this every time it is great recipes, every one like this"
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2009
"I have made this many times and everyone always enjoys it."