Makeover Pineapple Zucchini Bread Recipe
This lightened-up bread features a crunchy crust and delectable taste. Our pros achieved the moist center Nancy Skramsted of Billings, Montana was looking for. And it definitely tastes delicious, even though more than half the fat and over a third of the calories went missing from the original.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, applesauce, oil, egg whites, egg and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the zucchini, pineapple and walnuts.
- 2. Transfer to two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice equals 159 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC