- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 canned unsweetened pineapple slices
- 9 maraschino cherries halves
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer in pan; place cherry halves in center of pineapple slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, milk, oil, egg and extracts until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Sort By :
The cake appeared to be cooked at 40 minutes. The cake tester came out clean. Overnight the cake became very soggy .
I loved this recipe and used the crushed pineapple topping as suggested, but the cake was a little dry. I added some pineapple juice drained from the pineapple to the batter but it was still dry. Will add a all of it next time. I also added chopped pecans on the top and they cooked down into the cake and added a delightful addition to this cake. My husband loved it even though it was a bit dry.
The way I do it is I saute some butter, brown sugar and crushed pineapple till browned then spread in the bottom of the pan and continue with the rest of the recipe. I omit the cherries because hubby doesn't like them.
I've made this recipe several times. The whole family loves it and it comes out perfect every time.
I made this for our Easter dessert. I did not have lemon extract but substituted coconut extract. It was quite tasty.