- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 canned unsweetened pineapple slices
- 9 maraschino cherries halves
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer in pan; place cherry halves in center of pineapple slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, milk, oil, egg and extracts until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
"I loved this recipe and used the crushed pineapple topping as suggested, but the cake was a little dry. I added some pineapple juice drained from the pineapple to the batter but it was still dry. Will add a all of it next time. I also added chopped pecans on the top and they cooked down into the cake and added a delightful addition to this cake. My husband loved it even though it was a bit dry."
"The way I do it is I saute some butter, brown sugar and crushed pineapple till browned then spread in the bottom of the pan and continue with the rest of the recipe. I omit the cherries because hubby doesn't like them."
"I've made this recipe several times. The whole family loves it and it comes out perfect every time."
"I made this for our Easter dessert. I did not have lemon extract but substituted coconut extract. It was quite tasty."
"I made this with my 7 year old niece. She loves to bake. It was super easy and super yummy!"