“Both of my boys loved this makeover version of a family favorite, and even my husband, who is a bit picky, wants a piece in his lunch tomorrow!” —Mary Lou Moeller, Wooster, Ohio
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 canned unsweetened pineapple slices
- 9 maraschino cherries halves
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pour butter into a 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with brown sugar. Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer in pan; place cherry halves in center of pineapple slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, milk, oil, egg and extracts until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Immediately invert onto a serving plate. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Pineapple Upside-Down Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2011, p26
Reviews for Makeover Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review