Makeover Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- 2 large green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 pound shaved deli roast beef, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Stir in garlic powder and pepper; set aside.
- 2. On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Layer half of the sliced cheese, all of roast beef and vegetable mixture lengthwise over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining sliced cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 3. Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 331 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 1,055 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Reviews for Makeover Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli
"This was awesome. I am not a" cook " and I need a recipe to follow and this was perfect"
"Decent, though the roast beef was difficult to detect amongst all those peppers and onions! I usually don't complain about excess veggies, but the ratio seemed really off here. We subbed provolone for the Velveeta (not a fan of fake cheese - unless it's with mac!), and that melted beautifully and paired well with the other ingredients."
"I used canned mushrooms and fresh garlic, left over beef. I used homemade dough. EXCELLENT!!!!"
"We made this for New Year's Eve. It was fabulous! Next time, I will use less Velveeta and more Mozzarella... Loved it!!"
"Very good recipe. I had a hard time closing the stromboni though, as lots of filling, but it turned out very nicely. Tasted and smelled delicious. Next time I would reduce the velveeta a bit and put more of the non-processed cheese/mozza/cheddar. Will definitely make again."
"I used my bread machine rather than frozen dough. I also used parchment paper and found it easy to roll and eventually flip the stromboli. Mine was a LOT fatter and rounder than the picture. I only had 6oz of Velveeta so I used skim milk mozzarella and a bit of marble cheese grated. I don't like green pepper so I used just a bit of sweet yellow pepper. I also used a sweet onion. It was enjoyed by all at our social and I think I'll make it again during the Christmas season for relatives."
"I had trouble rolling out the thawed dough and I almost panicked but, eventually as the dough warmed I was able to roll it into the required length. I rolled it on my oversized wood cutting board and transferred the dough to the baking pan. The recipe was easy and the stromboli was a success with my husband. This recipe will definitely be one to make again and again. Thanks for the great recipe!"
"Husband said it's one of the best meals I've made him and really quite simple! Delicious - my only comment is maybe not as much cheese inside."
"Delicious! I will definitly make this again!"