Makeover Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- 2 large green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 pound shaved deli roast beef, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Stir in garlic powder and pepper; set aside.
- On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Layer half of the sliced cheese, all of roast beef and vegetable mixture lengthwise over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining sliced cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Makeover Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli(7)
Sort By :
I used canned mushrooms and fresh garlic, left over beef. I used homemade dough. EXCELLENT!!!!
We made this for New Year's Eve. It was fabulous! Next time, I will use less Velveeta and more Mozzarella... Loved it!!
Very good recipe. I had a hard time closing the stromboni though, as lots of filling, but it turned out very nicely. Tasted and smelled delicious. Next time I would reduce the velveeta a bit and put more of the non-processed cheese/mozza/cheddar. Will definitely make again.
I used my bread machine rather than frozen dough. I also used parchment paper and found it easy to roll and eventually flip the stromboli. Mine was a LOT fatter and rounder than the picture. I only had 6oz of Velveeta so I used skim milk mozzarella and a bit of marble cheese grated. I don't like green pepper so I used just a bit of sweet yellow pepper. I also used a sweet onion. It was enjoyed by all at our social and I think I'll make it again during the Christmas season for relatives.
I had trouble rolling out the thawed dough and I almost panicked but, eventually as the dough warmed I was able to roll it into the required length. I rolled it on my oversized wood cutting board and transferred the dough to the baking pan. The recipe was easy and the stromboli was a success with my husband. This recipe will definitely be one to make again and again. Thanks for the great recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Sandwich Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Hot Sandwich Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Sandwiches >
- Makeover Main Dish Recipes >