- 2 large green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 pound shaved deli roast beef, chopped
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Stir in garlic powder and pepper; set aside.
- On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, roll dough into a 15-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Layer half of the sliced cheese, all of roast beef and vegetable mixture lengthwise over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining sliced cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Makeover Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli
"This was awesome. I am not a" cook " and I need a recipe to follow and this was perfect"
"Decent, though the roast beef was difficult to detect amongst all those peppers and onions! I usually don't complain about excess veggies, but the ratio seemed really off here. We subbed provolone for the Velveeta (not a fan of fake cheese - unless it's with mac!), and that melted beautifully and paired well with the other ingredients."
"I used canned mushrooms and fresh garlic, left over beef. I used homemade dough. EXCELLENT!!!!"
"We made this for New Year's Eve. It was fabulous! Next time, I will use less Velveeta and more Mozzarella... Loved it!!"