Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and vodka. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions.
- 3. Stir the pesto, salt and pepper flakes into tomato mixture. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain penne; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 324 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 7g fiber), 12g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat
Reviews for Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce
"Definitely putting this one in my rotation!!"
"Excellent recipe!!! I added thinly sliced sweet Italian sausage (not to thin, skin removed) and sliced fresh mushrooms! I added both when I began to sauteed the onions. I omitted the pesto and used basil seasoning and threw in a couple of bay leaves into the sauce. I removed the bay leaves prior to adding the heavy cream mixture and milk. I will definitely make this again! =)"
"One of the best pasta dishes I've ever tasted ---"
"This was a big hit at our home - I will make this again."
"Hubby really liked it. I thought it was a little bland but I didn't have any pesto so that could be why. I substituted 14.5 oz of spaghetti sauce for one of the cans of tomatoes because I needed to use it up and my family doesn't like tomato chunks anyway. Also, I substituted 2% milk because we never have whole milk. It was still good but next time I'll make sure I add pesto. Oh and one large onion seemed way too much!"
"Great recipe. I purchase a store bought oven roasted chicken and cut pieces of the flavorful chicken up and add it to the sauce. I also throw in some frozen peas right before serving. A quick and delicious meal that all my boys (5 of them ) thoroughly enjoy. Don't forget the garlic bread for scooping up the sauce!!!"
"This recipe was wonderful. I used regular penne pasta instead of the wheat, and added a little more pepper flakes. I will definitely make this again and again!! Super Yum!"
"The whole family liked this one! Even my super picky 4 year old ate it - after some coaxing."
"This is the first time I have had Vodka Cream Sauce and it was excellent and very flavorful. I will definitely be making this again."
"If this is a lightened version I can't even imagine the real thing this recipe was a hit!"
"I made this for my parents and my husband for a special dinner. It was impressive and fairly easy. I added chicken... it would've lacked something without it. It was a big hit, although it wasn't my favorite. I think next time I make it I'm going to try shrimp instead."
"I made this for dinner and it is to die for. I used roasted tomatos that I made and frooze and they added another level of flavor. I also used boe tie wheat pasta as it has more surface for the sauce to adhere to. I will never have to go out to dinner to have this for dinner as I can make it at home in less than one hour. I served it with romain lettuce that I cut the head in half and spraied each with oil and grilded them on the grill then topped them with dressing and fetta chesse. Outstanding dinner."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.