Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and vodka. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions.
- 3. Stir the pesto, salt and pepper flakes into tomato mixture. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain penne; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
2/3 cup pasta with 2/3 cups sauce and 1 tablespoon cheese equals 324 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.