Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce is still creamy, rich and restaurant-quality special, but it now has less than half the original recipe’s fat and cholesterol. Even our pros had a hard time telling them apart. Debra Torres - Clarion, Pennsylvania
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 28 ounces, one 14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 package (12 ounces) whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes and vodka. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook penne according to package directions.
- Stir the pesto, salt and pepper flakes into tomato mixture. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Drain penne; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p21
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Makeover Penne with Vodka Cream Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review